[OmniOS-discuss] disk failure causing reboot?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon May 18 20:08:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 06:25:34PM +0000, Jeff Stockett wrote:
> A drive failed in one of our supermicro 5048R-E1CR36L servers running
> omnios r151012 last night, and somewhat unexpectedly, the whole system
> seems to have panicked.

You don't happen to have failmode set to panic on the pool?

>From the zpool manpage:

       failmode=wait | continue | panic
           Controls the system behavior in the event of catastrophic pool
           failure. This condition is typically a result of a loss of
           connectivity to the underlying storage device(s) or a failure of
           all devices within the pool. The behavior of such an event is
           determined as follows:

           wait
                       Blocks all I/O access until the device connectivity is
                       recovered and the errors are cleared. This is the
                       default behavior.

           continue
                       Returns EIO to any new write I/O requests but allows
                       reads to any of the remaining healthy devices. Any
                       write requests that have yet to be committed to disk
                       would be blocked.

           panic
                       Prints out a message to the console and generates a
                       system crash dump.