[OmniOS-discuss] Query - Update gcc48 to gccXX, which XX?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon May 18 20:38:56 UTC 2015

Now this isn't a gcc update for illumos/illumos-omnios... that way is full of pain, and I'll wait for now.

OTOH, we've transitioned gcc before going into r151008 with 4.8.1.

My question to you all is this:  To which gcc version should we jump?  I see two viable candidates:

	- gcc 4.9.2 (last updated October 2014)

or

	- gcc 5.1 (last updated April 2015)

The current gcc "development" is happening on 6.0, and we're not ready for that.

I appreciate feedback.  I'll be making a decision soon, as I hope to land a compiler upgrade as the major push for this bloody cycle and r151016.

Thanks,