[OmniOS-discuss] Query - Update gcc48 to gccXX, which XX?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon May 18 22:46:24 UTC 2015

> On May 18, 2015, at 6:31 PM, Tim Rice <tim at multitalents.net> wrote:
>>
>> My question to you all is this:  To which gcc version should we jump?  I see two viable candidates:
>
> Any reason not to consider CLANG instead of GCC?

Completely new beast and potential for least-surprise.  I can imagine CLANG/LLVM showing up *alongside* gcc in some future release, but not as an outright replacement.  Not yet.

And remember -- these are just for building non-illumos stuff.  illumos is still being built with the specially-modified gcc4.4.4.  (Though I wouldn't mind if someone spent time bringing up LLVM/CLANG to build illumos... it would just be really REALLY hard.)