[OmniOS-discuss] iSCSI traffic suddenly comes to a halt and then resumes

Matej Zerovnik matej at zunaj.si
Fri May 22 09:50:58 UTC 2015

After having troubles almost every week and missing the time frame to
catch the bastard, today I finally had the opportunity to catch it in
action:)

As it turns out, it looks like a ZFS(not likely) or HW(probably)
problem. When in "hangup" state, iscsi and network worked flawlessly and
I was able to connect to iSCSI(but mounting the FS and issuing
commands(show lvm volume,..) worked really slow). I was also able to
work on the server, so it wasn't locked up.

Then I decided to check the ZFS FS. I tried to create a file in ZFS
mount directory by issuing 'touch test-file' and command froze. I tried
to kill it with CTRL+C to no success. I tried to kill the process with
kill -9, but that did not help either. Looking at iostat output, there
was some reading happening, but absolutely no writes (0, nada).

I used 'lsiutils' to connect to my LSI HBA and issued port reset,
following a hard SAS link reset in a hope it will come back, but it was
still frozen. I also checked 'phy counters' in lsiutils, and there were
some devices with errors, but that could be due to port / link reset.

Long story short, after 30min, everything returned to normal, without an
errors message in logs or anywhere else. Bad thing is, iSCSI target
froze a few minutes later and only way to resolve the trouble was to
restart the server:(

Matej