[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody Terminfo problems

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Mon Nov 2 11:22:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 02 2015 11:48:41 +0100, Jim Klimov wrote:
>  TL;DR: The OmniOS terminfo package seems broken after Oct 22 and
>  delivers too few files. Packaged software does not fall back to other
>  available locations.

Packaged by who?

>  Same for vt100, vt220, ansi...
>
>  I have terminfo packages installed and up-to-date, and while looking at the system I see 3 locations at least:
>
>  # find /opt -name terminfo -ls
>    1124    2 drwxr-xr-x  14 root     root           14 Oct 29 14:45 /opt/local/share/lib/terminfo

Not shipped by OmniOS. Maybe this is from pkgsrc?

>  The /usr ones seem similar to OI/Hipster - they contain seemingly
>  equivalent content except most of the files are different at binary
>  level. Apparently, they come from terminfo and ncurses, and maybe
>  should be merged(?) in illumos-gate(?):
>
>  # pkg search xterm
>  INDEX      ACTION VALUE                          PACKAGE
>  basename   file   usr/gnu/share/terminfo/x/xterm pkg:/library/ncurses at 5.9-0.151015
>  basename   file   usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm pkg:/system/data/terminfo at 0.5.11-0.151015

Well, -gate ships its own curses, and it's not exactly compatible with
ncurses from what I understand.

>  But it is the one searched by software (and no fallbacks to other
>  locations). For example, trussing that "mc" call I see:

mc is also not shipped by OmniOS AFAIK. 'vim' for me is searching
/usr/gnu/share/terminfo correctly, not even stat()ing anything under
/opt. Maybe you need to look at whoever shipped your mc?

--
Lauri Tirkkonen | lotheac @ IRCnet