[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody // mailwrapper & mta mediator

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Nov 4 02:39:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 07:33:40PM -0500, Dan McDonald wrote:

> We may need to weaken "require" to something else.  I know the bug
> filer is on this list.  I'd appreciate a dialogue here on this
> subject.

We don't use sendmail. I remember piping up when sendmail became a
requirement of 014 during its bloody phase, so I will restate -- please
don't make sendmail a hard dependency :(. What's the point of an
interposer allowing the use of whatever mail system you want if you're
forced to install one you don't want 8-/. Generally on operating systems
that allow multiple options of a specific service you add on the ones
you want after the base install. I'd say the box in the bug report
simply hadn't been fully configured yet.

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would *choose* to use sendmail
nowadays ;), if you want to install an MTA in the base how about you
package up postfix :)... We're currently running it from pkgsrc.