[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody // mailwrapper & mta mediator

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Nov 4 22:21:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 07:56:15AM -0500, Dan McDonald wrote:
>> Does the *presence* of sendmail in a default install actually prevent
>> folks from using their preferred MTAs with the mediator (which still
>> works from what I can tell)?
>
> I haven't had a chance to try out 016; I think other than being
> unnecessary bloat and requiring actions to be taken to disable it
> sendmail won't get in the way of another MTA.

I think that Paul would not be very happy if he did not have a Milter
library.  The Milter library is popular with postfix users becauses it
supports filtering inbound mail prior to delivery (e.g. for
greylisting).  Currently libmilter seems to be supplied by the
sendmail package.

It would be useful if the milter library was broken out from the
sendmail package.  It would also be useful if there was 64-bit
sendmail and 64-bit milter library because otherwise there can be
problems with hitting the 256 file descriptor limit under heavy email
conditions.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn