[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS r151016 is now out!

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Nov 8 23:25:37 UTC 2015

> My first try at an update failed to boot properly.  Being a control
> freak, I had made /opt its own zfs filesystem.  Previously it must
> have been part of the boot environment.  The contents of /opt was not
> as expected and so the fs.local service failed.

 We ran into this in our ongoing transition from r151010 to r151014,
where we initially had /opt as a separate ZFS filesystems in the root
pool. This caused unsolvable failures during the upgrade because /opt is
expected to be part of the boot environment and various things malfunction
if it isn't. I believe the general conclusion from the mailing list was
'a separate /opt is not a supported configuration and you can't do that'.

 Some more details for the curious are here:

	https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/OmniOSOptCaution

(I don't have a link to the discussion in the mailing list archives, but
interested parties should be able to dig it out without too much problem.)

	- cks