[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS r151016 is now out!

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Nov 9 08:59:02 UTC 2015

9 ноября 2015 г. 0:40:20 CET, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> пишет:
>On Sun, 8 Nov 2015, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
>> if it isn't. I believe the general conclusion from the mailing list
>was
>> 'a separate /opt is not a supported configuration and you can't do
>that'.
>>
>> Some more details for the curious are here:
>>
>> 	https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/OmniOSOptCaution
>
>This is a really nice article.  It concludes that OmniOS owns /opt.
>I also see that pkgsrc owns /opt/local so there can be more owners
>than OmniOS.  I have learned that pkgsrc will automatically install
>services so it makes sense to leave it as part of the boot
>environment.
>
>I was lucky enough to be able to quickly back-track, restore /opt in
>root, and retry.  It is all working now.
>
>Bob

Technically, I believe OmniOS "owns" /opt/omni. Feel free to define other subdirs as datasets hosted elsewhere (out of tree of rootfs children). My own admin-scripts go under /opt but these are okay as part of rootfs/BE so I don't dataset them ;)

To manage split-off datasets of rootfs (children and shared) consider https://github.com/jimklimov/illumos-splitroot-scripts (shameless plug ;) )

This takes into account Firefly failsafe miniroots and PKGSrc datasets too.

Jim Klimov

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android