[OmniOS-discuss] Upgrading Java to OpenJDK8 - any advice?

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Thu Nov 12 16:08:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 12, 2015, at 7:20 AM, Ben Summers <ben at fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> And that's why I don't think it's possible to use the built in one for anything. Are you committing to getting a Java update out the same day as Oracle?
>
> That's an excellent point.  I'm not.
>
> Given that the built-in java is only used for poold, perhaps I should spend my time elsewhere. I'm also running into openjdk8 doing things new&differently that REALLY mess up existing assumptions in build.sh.  :)

The Java landscape is also confusing as heck these days, given Oracle
Java SE vs. OpenJDK.  *Oracle* is no longer publicly updating Java SE
7, but *OpenJDK* 7 appears to still be getting updates, but I've been
unable to locate any sort of end date for OpenJDK's "jdk7u" project.
I guess this means that security updates will still come out for
OpenJDK 7?

Eric