[OmniOS-discuss] Can't see Europe in installs? Plus new workaround

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Nov 12 18:34:33 UTC 2015

There are two distinct problems with the r151016 installer, recently pointed out as "If I select Europe, the installer dies".

PROBLEM 1 --> 2015g uses UTF-8 now.  --> This is not really a bug, but it does expose problems in the OmniOS Caiman code.

PROBLEM 2 --> OmniOS Caiman code has a bug.  This is basically the language-selection code at the beginning (when you select your keyboard type) is totally broken, and always defaults to the C locale. The short answer is to import this patch: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/slim_source/commit/e70c8327f1d7c168d0ee03d11b7f90204eb8271b  into the OmniOS Caiman.  I'm working on this now.

You can workaround ALL of these by:

	- Going to the shell.
	- Uttering:   LANG=<your-favorite.UTF8> text-install

which will give you the text installer again, but with a proper UTF8 locale, so it won't barf on the input.

Once I fix problem 2 OR you select the workaround, there is a third problem that results:  if you select a continent/region with UTF-8 non-ASCII characters, the text installer renders rather oddly.  I'm attaching a picture below.

Just wanted to give you all an update.  We're still waiting for an external-source update before we spin 014 and 016 updates, so pardon the delay.

Thanks,