[OmniOS-discuss] pkg verify failing on pyc files

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Thu Oct 8 20:23:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Lauri Tirkkonen <lotheac at iki.fi> wrote:
>     % pkg list -Hv simplejson-26
>     pkg://omnios/library/python-2/simplejson-26@3.6.5-0.151014:20150402T184431Z i--
>
> Yes, yes it is, and it *was* built using pkgsend -T '*.py'. However,
> the commit in omnios-build introducing that was authored on Mar 25 2015
> (8cc8f3ef45d9c7d8ccdfda608d00599cd3890597). My theory is that if the
> file content does not change, even if pkgsend -T is used to preserve the
> timestamps, the file is not touched on update; would that help explain
> what you're seeing?

Since .pyc files are evidently locally modified outside of pkg(5),
would it make sense to mark them as such in their manifests, i.e.
setting the "preserve" attribute?  This makes pkg verify not report
differences from the installed manifest.

Perhaps not a total win, though, as it would mean potentially losing
upgrade content, unless preserve was set to "renameold" or some such.

Eric