[OmniOS-discuss] Slow performance with ZeusRAM?

Matej Zerovnik matej at zunaj.si
Thu Oct 22 19:02:49 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm building a new system and I'm having a bit of a performance problem. Well, its either that or I'm not getting the whole ZIL idea:)

My system is following:
- IBM xServer 3550 M4 server (dual CPU with 160GB memory)
- LSI 9207 HBA (P19 firmware)
- Supermicro JBOD with SAS expander
- 4TB SAS3 drives
- ZeusRAM for ZIL
- LTS Omnios (all patches applied)

If I benchmark ZeusRAM on its own with random 4k sync writes, I can get 48k IOPS out of it, no problem there.

If I create a new raidz2 pool with 10 hard drives, mirrored ZeusRAMs for ZIL and set sync=always, I can only squeeze 14k IOPS out of the system.
Is that normal or should I be getting 48k IOPS on the 2nd pool as well, since this is the performance ZeusRAM can deliver?

I'm testing with fio:
fio --filename=/pool0/test01 --size=5g --rw=randwrite --refill_buffers --norandommap --randrepeat=0 --ioengine=solarisaio --bs=4k --iodepth=16 --numjobs=16 --runtime=60 --group_reporting --name=4ktest

thanks, Matej