[OmniOS-discuss] UPDATE NOW --> ntp to 4.2.8p4

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Fri Oct 23 06:44:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23 2015 01:20:16 +0200, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Eric Sproul writes:
> > The service has restarted correctly for me on both 006 and 014 with
> > this update.  I'm not sure why that is though, because you're
> > correct that the ntp.xml file has not changed in all of the '014
> > versions published.  I was under the impression that the
> > restart_fmri actuator would only fire when the associated action was
> > triggered.
>
> Yes, that's why it did not restart on my 014 box, hence I noticed.
> Maybe you were on an earlier rev where the manifest really did change?
> I guess it also restarted when Dan tested, or else he would not have
> mentioned that pkg DTRT.

I don't know why the service would restart even if the manifest did
change, because reimporting the manifest only triggers a refresh (see my
other mail). I find it strange that Eric mentions it did.

> > However, if we really *do* want to restart ntp when the *daemon*
> > updates, then we could add a restart_fmri actuator on the
> > usr/lib/inet/ntpd file.  Thus, whenever that file is updated,
> > svc:/network/ntp:default could be restarted.
>
> It's been a while since I last tried, but I think this will not work,
> at least not in some corner cases, e.g. when the pkg is not installed
> at all, and the svc:/network/ntp:default service does not exist when
> the pkg is installed.  ISTR that pkg install will error out.  Hmmm,
> need to test that again sometimes. :-)

I don't know about when pkg is not installed (how would you even update
or install the package then?), but on a package containing both the
manifest-import restart actuator on the manifest file as well as a
restart_fmri for the new service on the other files, 'pkg install -v'
does mention that both services will be restarted, even though the one
of them doesn't exist at install time. It has never caused any errors
for me though, and we've been shipping several different packages
containing services for quite a while now.

--
Lauri Tirkkonen | lotheac @ IRCnet