[OmniOS-discuss] LTS r151014 installation issue from USB stick

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Wed Aug 3 20:32:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Krzysztof Grzempa <grzempek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, i used USB3 port indeed...but i also have 2 USB 2.0, so i tried luck
> with those....the same effect... :(

I have a motherboard [1] that claims to have USB 2.0 ports but they
are, in fact, just USB 3.0 ports in disguise. I had to add in a real
USB 2.0 card to get a working console keyboard. And even then, I have
to switch back to the onboard ports to use the keyboard in BIOS. :(

If you can boot the machine into a Linux LiveCD or something, a look
at `lspci` output could answer whether you have real USB 2.0 or just
USB 3.0 in disguise.  The onboard USB of my board is this:

00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB
3.0 xHCI Controller [8086:a12f] (rev 31)

Eric

[1] https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSM-F.cfm