[OmniOS-discuss] LTS r151014 installation issue from USB stick

Krzysztof Grzempa grzempek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 13:55:53 UTC 2016

Ok, 2 days spent on trying boot this up...

I tried to boot some usb linux distro to check lspci and find it out if i
have 2.0 usb ports as it is in specification (Eric Sproul advice) and i
couldn't do that too!!
I tried vary distros with no luck. The one and only distro which i could
boot up without problem is Debian. That works pretty well with usb2 and
usb3 ports.

On debian i checked usb ports and there are 2.0 capable port.
So this brings me to thought that it is motherboard (ASRock N3700-itx)
fault. I did some search on the net and found some people expieriencing
similiar behaviour, and I even found people that have problems to make usb3
working correctly on windows.
I think this motherboard is using some weird chipset for usb, and thats why
most linux distros can't recognize it. So if linux has problems, Illumos
will have it too surely...

Unfortunatly, the only solution to make this rig running OmniOS is to
install USB2 pci-e card or to boot it up with SATA CD drive.
First option is quite difficult because i cannot find USB2.0 pci-e card on
the market. Second option i will have to buy sata cd drive, but even if i
install OmniOS on it i wont be able to use any USB on my rig...damn.

Regards
Krzysztof