[OmniOS-discuss] LTS r151014 installation issue from USB stick

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Fri Aug 5 16:07:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Jeff Berkembrock <jeff at 1beyond.com> wrote:
> Krzysztof,
>
> What if you used the internal USB 2.0 headers to convert them to external
> USB ports - do they work? The headers are definitely USB 2.0.
> From motherboard specs & manual: 2 x USB 2.0 Headers (Support 4 USB 2.0
> ports)

Ultimately what matters is the HCI controller chip that all these
ports are physically attached to, regardless of how they are labeled
on the PCB or in the manual.  The problem with my Supermicro X11 board
is that even the ports indicated as USB 2.0 (their plugs are black
instead of blue as with 3.0) are physically wired to the same xHCI
(USB 3.0) controller, which is the unsupported bit.

You need to have an actual UCHI/EHCI controller chip in the system for
illumos to be able to use it, until illumos gets xHCI support.

Eric