[OmniOS-discuss] LX for OmniOS update

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Aug 8 22:21:12 UTC 2016

I just pushed two commits to io-lx-public:

commit f35040a7b2d3acea4f879afbc7ae4d8bfa09b575
Author: Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com>
Date:   Mon Aug 8 17:17:31 2016 -0400

    systemd kool-aid drinkers (e.g. Ubuntu 16) need proc_clock_highres privileges

commit 179ef6d69f69f2c5fb540fecf8cc3707168fb76f
Author: Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com>
Date:   Thu Aug 4 10:47:33 2016 -0400

    libdladm needs to be a bit more LX-aware

The most recent has allowed me to boot Ubuntu 16 *AND* CentOS 7.2 on an OmniOS-hosted LX zone.

I'll be merging with Joyent's stuff again relatively soon and preparing to spin both a non-LX bloody update and an accompanying LX update on our LX publisher:

	http://pkg.omniti.com/omnios/LX/

I've not heard from anyone, so I'm going to assume nobody has played with LX zones on OmniOS yet.  It's still "alpha/beta"-y IMHO, but I really could use the feedback, especially from people with more Linux experience than me.  (I *rarely* have used UNIX variants outside of MacOS X and Solarish ones for the past 20 years, and most of those exceptions were for IPsec interoperability testing back when I was at Sun.)

We're contemplating including "LX Beta" in OmniOS r151020, as preparation for r151022 (i.e. the Next LTS release) to include LX zones.  Your feedback should be invaluable in helping us guide things in.

Thanks,