[OmniOS-discuss] LX for OmniOS update

PÁSZTOR György pasztor at sagv5.gyakg.u-szeged.hu
Tue Aug 9 14:52:57 UTC 2016

Hi Dan,

"Stephan Budach" <stephan.budach at jvm.de> írta 2016-08-09 15:00-kor:
> I'd love to be able to actually spend any time on this, but my workload
> doesn't allow it??? I hope to get into this at the end of september.
> Don't give up on it, please??? ;)

+1

The same case here. I tried it the first time, you mentioned this on the
list. Al-something worked. Then I had no more time to deal with that.
I changed country a month ago. Most of my stuff is still at my "from"
country. I have now only my old laptop from '11, with an ubuntu 12.04, so I
could try your improvements on that, in a virtualbox.
My omnios nas is still at the "from" country, so I do not even have space
for backup data from my laptop, (and wipe that old over-hacked ubuntu, so
finally I could replace it with a more recent something.)

So, please keep up the good work!
As soon as the things calm down around me, I plan to test, even contribute
my ideas around the installation of an lx zones.
eg.: one of my ideas was, to improve the zone installer part, and instead
of wrapping out prepared zfs dataset tin, we can use some more generic,
like debootstrapping debian-ish (eg.: ubuntu) systems.
There is also a debootstrap-like tool for rpm-based systems, but I do not
remember the name of it from the top of my head.
At least, my opinion is that, if we create an installation method onec than
it needs minimal maintenance later for supporting newer debian/ubuntu
versions.

Cheers,
Gyu