[OmniOS-discuss] LX for OmniOS update

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Aug 10 17:35:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016, Dan McDonald wrote:

> Can't use Linux network configuration.  Use /native/sbin/ipadm and /native/sbin/route.  (You will also need to add those to some sort of boot script in-zone for now.)

I think that any program using netlink and rtnetlink sockets (similar
in operation to routing sockets)
(http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/netlink.7.html,
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/rtnetlink.7.html) will not work
whereas some deprecated ioctls may work.

This is problematic since Linux programs configuring or querying
network topology/configuration are supposed to use netlink now and
ioctls are deprecated.

The Linux 'ip' command uses netlink whereas legacy 'ifconfig' may
be using ioctls.

Illumos could provide an emulation of netlink sockets, but of course
this would be a lot of work.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn