[OmniOS-discuss] LTS r151014 installation issue from USB stick

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Aug 13 11:55:51 UTC 2016

13 августа 2016 г. 12:59:52 CEST, Krzysztof Grzempa <grzempek at gmail.com> пишет:
>Correct me if I'm wrong..There is no way to setup raidz on rpool. Right
>?

>> >If the card as advertised as USB 3.0 then it will be xHCI.  Only a
>> >card which is genuinely only USB 2.0/1.1 will work.  Even then, you
>> >might not be able to use, say, a USB keyboard in the BIOS when the
>> >keyboard is in the offboard card. That's the annoying thing in my
>> >setup-- if I want to interact with the BIOS, the keyboard must be in
>> >an onboard, xHCI port.  But when we get to the OS, it must be in the
>> >offboard card for it to work.
>>
>> It is adertised as USB2.0 on PCI-E. So i hope it will work.
>> http://www.znak.pl/index.php?prid=kontUSB20Del89135
>> The possible issue with keyboard is not bother me, as mostly i will
>manage
>> this box via ssh, having keyboard detached..
>> I will feedback with results
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>> Krzysztof

>>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Krzysztof Grzempa
><grzempek at gmail.com>
>Debian).
>>>
>>> If the card as advertised as USB 3.0 then it will be xHCI.  Only a
>>> card which is genuinely only USB 2.0/1.1 will work.  Even then, you
>>> might not be able to use, say, a USB keyboard in the BIOS when the
>>> keyboard is in the offboard card. That's the annoying thing in my
>>> setup-- if I want to interact with the BIOS, the keyboard must be in
>>> an onboard, xHCI port.  But when we get to the OS, it must be in the
>>> offboard card for it to work.
>>>
>>> Eric

You're right, this is currently not possible, at least not with the standard bootloader and respective failsafes in zfs libraries that forbid unsupported setups for the rpool.

If you have a limited amount of disk bays, you can technically mix a mirrored rpool on small first partition (or slice) and a raidz pool on slices that cover the remainder of disk(s). With many enough disks (say 4+) you can make an rpool mirror on one couple of disks, and a mirror for swap (or on SSDs - perhaps a mirror for ZIL or two L2ARCs) on the other drives.

Note that while this sort of setup works for me for a decade, running several pools on same spindles may be suboptimal performance-wise and is generally not among recommended setups. Also when you use not-whole disks dedicated for the pools, but partitions or slices, you'd have to manage HDD-caching manually (e.g. with an init-script).

Hope this helps,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android