[OmniOS-discuss] Using Docker tarballs for LX zone installations?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:01:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> Peter Tribble mentioned this a while back:
>
> > Neat. I tried it once the official way (using joyent images), then
> reworked
> > it to use images from docker export (which generates simple tarballs).
> >
> > This is the base Alpine docker image:
> >
> > lx0:/# uname -a
> > Linux lx0 4.4.15 BrandZ virtual linux x86_64 Linux
> >

> I would like to have the LX brand installer script take an optional "-t
> <full path to tarball or tgz>" pathname in lieu of "-s <full path to zfs
> snapshot...>" to populate an LX zone.  It appears that at least this can
> work manually.
>
> How do I get my hands on a docker tarball?  URLs to said tarballs are
> appreciated.

For Docker tarballs specifically, you really have to be running Docker.

Some projects make filesystem tarballs available. For example Ubuntu
have their cloud images:

https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/

Looking around for the root tarballs should give you something useful.
(The cloud images are what are used to create the Ubuntu Docker images,
so you get the unmodified version which might actually be more useful.)

Or some images here might be useful.

http://download.proxmox.com/images/system/

I've used the alpine image from there successfully.

I tried the Fedora image from here

https://getfedora.org/en/cloud/download/docker.html

and had LX fail:

zone 'lx3': ERROR: Unsupported distribution!

--
-Peter Tribble