[OmniOS-discuss] Silly very-long-term question

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Dec 12 19:46:44 UTC 2016

> On Dec 12, 2016, at 2:43 PM, Michael Talbott <mtalbott at lji.org> wrote:
>
> This brings up an interesting issue I've ran into. I've found that compiling and using samba with winbind on OmniOS must be 32 bit in order for winbind to resolve user ids. After some digging it appears some of the core system utilities are only available as 32 bit versions and can't look up ids with 64 bit libs. For instance the built in "id" command is 32-bit only, hence, can't use a 64 bit version of winbind :(
>
> # file /usr/bin/id
> /usr/bin/id:    ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging information available

Doing a check on just the /usr/bin/entry is misleading.  Check:

	/usr/bin/i86  (illumos)
	/usr/bin/i386 (OmniOS-specific)
	/usr/bin/amd64 (both, 64-bit)

prior to declaring a binary is just 32-bit.  In this case, however, id is 32-bit only:

bloody(~)[0]% ls /usr/bin/*/id
ls-F: No match.
bloody(~)[1]% ls /usr/bin/*/digest
/usr/bin/amd64/digest* /usr/bin/i86/digest*
bloody(~)[0]% ls /usr/bin/*/python2.6
/usr/bin/amd64/python2.6* /usr/bin/i386/python2.6*
bloody(~)[0]%

You can certainly, BTW, file an RFE in illumos to get id(1) to be 64-bit happy, or even go into the source and fix it yourself.