[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS and i386 hardware

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Feb 19 03:18:45 UTC 2016

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Даниил Ландау wrote:

> I’m experimenting with OmniOS a lot and decided to create my own
> publisher with some packages including Samba. I had an idea to
> create packages including two platform builds with "isaexec switch"
> for binaries as all OmniOS packages. But 32-bit build has the
> meaning only if somebody could run OmniOS on 32-bit hardware.

Disregarding the intent of this email, I disagree that 32-bit builds
have meaning only for 32-bit hardware.

Solaris has traditionally mostly offered 32-bit applications and
libraries.  Packaged (or already-built) software may be 32-bits.  Due
to dependencies, it may be necessary to have 32-bit libraries
installed in order to run 32-bit applications, and these typically
come with 32-bit programs as well.

Getting back on topic, Python does not seem to support multiple
architectures in one install.  However, the python binary itself seems
to use the "isaexec switch" so the problem is likely that the 32-bit
version is not built properly against all of the packages which are
needed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn