[OmniOS-discuss] Extending the installer

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Sat Feb 27 15:50:38 UTC 2016

BTW folks, there is a contingent inside OmniTI that wants to get rid of Caiman altogether and replace it with Kayak, even on interactive installs.

The reason kayak exists is to make installs (PXE currently) VERY quick. Having the boot-media install be equally quick has some appeal.

As far as networking configuration at boot time goes, one reason we don't have it today is so that post-installation the machine boots without any attack surface.  A sysadmin knows their environment, and an installer can't necessarily know a deployment's requirements.

I need to re-read this thread when I can concentrate, as I suspect there are some common-case optimizations already mentioned we can extract for a better interactive installer experience.

Thanks for this thread, folks!
Dan

Sent from my iPhone (typos, autocorrect, and all)