[OmniOS-discuss] GRUB after omni install

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Jun 3 01:09:45 UTC 2016

This is generally an indication that the stage 1 bootloader on the MBR was
unable to load the stage 1.5 bootloader from disk. Could you provide a few
more details on the system? What motherboard? What do you have the disk
connected to? What type/size of disk is it? How do you have it configured in
the BIOS?

It's possible either there was an error when the bootloader was installed,
in which case simply reinstalling the bootloader might resolve the issue, or
there is some incompatibility with your system that is causing the failure.

You can boot off of the install media to a shell, but I don't recall if you
can reinstall grub from it? You would need to import/mount your rpool, and
then the command would be something along the lines of:

installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

using the appropriate disk target of course.