[OmniOS-discuss] slices & zfs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jun 8 07:24:33 UTC 2016

8 июня 2016 г. 7:00:50 CEST, Martijn Fennis <martijn at fennis.tk> пишет:
>Hi,
>

>Does someone have some info about setting up ZFS on top of slices ?
>
>Having 10 drives which i would like to have the outer ring configured @
>raid 10 for about 1 TB with dedup, the rest of the drives in Raid 50.
>

>What i find on google is to use complete devs and difficult to
>interpret slicing info..
>

>Thanks,
>Martijn
>
>Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows 10

You just set up slices (with format utility on one disk, replicate setup with prtvtoc to others if they are identical). Then you use slice numbers as vdevs to zpool command. Note that slices s0 and s2 are reserved, so you have s1 and s3-s7 to play with. (X86 may expose s8 and s9 - also reserved).

Also note that dedup may require some RAM and maybe a separate fast SSD to cache reads and writes, to be efficient. Otherwise it can bog you down below single mb/s of i/o.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android