[OmniOS-discuss] slices & zfs

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:39:13 UTC 2016

One thing to watch out for when using slices is that you can easily
end up with a slices that are not 4KB aligned.  That doesn't matter
when the underlying device truly uses 512 byte sectors, but these days
a _lot_ of devices "lie" about that, and advertise 512 byte sectors
when in reality you pay a (possibly severe) performance penalty for
doing I/O that's not 4K aligned (or larger).
Unfortunately, the format tools and the default "fake" geometry
(cylinders, heads, sectors) typically gives you un-aligned slices.

A while back I took a stab at making format do "megabyte aligned
partitions" (which is what most OS's with slices or partitions do now)
but that work never quite made it to completion.
(It did get far enough so I could setup my dual boot SSD with aligned
partitions:)

Gordon