[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS as home serwer (NAT, private projects)

Krzysztof Grzempa grzempek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 09:35:39 UTC 2016

Cheers guys,

I'm planning to build my own server at home for multiple purposes (my
projects, home NAS etc). I'm planning to use zones to separate WAN access
server (www hosting, git and svn repos, email maybe..) and SAN
functionalities for LAN only access.
Now, i'm huge fan of Illumos. I used to work with Solaris 8 to 11, and i
really enjoy it. I wish to use ZFS as the best storage solution, but what
concern me most is availability of technologies that i'm going to use. For
WAN purposes I need apache2, php5, mariadb, python (at least 2.7),git, svn,
and maybe fish shell ;) . For my NAS, I need samba, nfs, ftp, DLNA
[mediatomb, serviio] (sharing video to TV directly).
AFAIK and read on the net, probably every of those technologies are doable
on OmniOS, but the problem is time spent on installing, solving problems
etc.
Of course, there is always the linux solution, but i would like not go
there as Illumos has may better storage (ZFS on linux sucks IHMO)
Has anyone got expierience in setting up such stack on OmniOS? (or any
other Illumos distro?) Problems? Advices?

thanks,
Kris