[OmniOS-discuss] virtualbox memory fault.

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Jun 28 19:11:34 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-28 11:59 AM, John D Groenveld wrote:
> In message <5772C723.80509 at gnaa.net>, Geoff Nordli writes:
>> I am running OmniOS v11 r151018.
>>
>> I have quite a few OI/Omnios OS boxes running Virtualbox.  I haven't see
>> this before.  On a new server I just installed I am getting a memory
>> fault right away when starting a vm.
> Perhaps set disable_smap=1?
> <URL:http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2016-June/019049.html>
>
> BTW have you done any benchmarking between VBox and KVM?
> John
> groenveld at acm.org

Hi John.

Yes, I set the disable_smap in the system and rebooted, but it doesn't
seem to help.  That setting supposedly prevents the host from rebooting.

On a Windows Server 2012 R2 I am getting the following networking
performance with iperf (default settings).

Client -> VM  903Mbps
VM -> Client  572Mbps

I am focused on small business systems and protecting their data, so
these numbers are more than good enough.

thanks,

Geoff