[OmniOS-discuss] virtualbox memory fault.

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Wed Jun 29 20:11:01 UTC 2016

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 3:00 PM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:
>

> On 2016-06-28 06:18 PM, Dale Ghent wrote:

>>> Just tried the newly released 5.0.24 and it still gives the same error.
>> Well, using Solaris on illumos is going to be a more and more iffy proposition as time marches on; it's hard to say what might have changed on Oracle Solaris, if anything; that the vbox packages were compiled on.
>>
>> How about trying a earlier release of vbox, to perhaps isolate the issue further? Since there is no guarantee for Oracle Solaris binary compatibility, this is kind of an ambiguous zone here.
>>
>> /dale
>>

> Dale, you are probably right, that is a tough pill to swallow though since I have a lot of scripts/tools to manage vbox and it works really well on OmniOS -- when it works :)

One of the underlying reasons for this is that illumos (and by extension, OmniOS) still identify as “SunOS 5.11”, which the vbox build system equates to “Oracle Solaris 11”

Since Oracle Solaris 11 and illumos are moving on in their own directions and the technical differences between them only grow over time, this is a pain point when it comes to trying to get binaries that were compiled on one to work on the other. A good example of this in the context of vbox is vboxfs, which now uses some symbols added in a Oracle Solaris 11 update, but do not exist on illumos.

/dale