[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS r151020 is now out!

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Nov 4 15:26:09 UTC 2016

Start with the release notes:

	http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/ReleaseNotes/r151020

The big highlights include:

	- LX Zones Beta --> LX Zones can now run in OmniOS.  They have their own wiki page, off the Release Notes one above.

		https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/LXZones

	  Not all LX interfaces and methods are frozen, and are subject to change between now and r151022.

	- SunSSH end-of-life (NOTE the Upgrading section below).

	- ACPI Version 6

	- Initial NVMe 1.1 Support

	- VIM 8.0

NOTE that we froze r151020 prior to the BSD Loader push in illumos-gate.  We did so to not delay this release.  This does mean that the next release, r151022, which is also the next LTS, will be late, and may have other substantial changes.

OmniOS r151020 is the new stable release.  OmniOS r151018 becomes the "old stable" and will receive critical bugfixes and/or security patches for another six months.  OmniOS r151014 continues to be the long-term-support (LTS) release.  OmniOS r151016 has officially reached END OF SERVICE LIFE, having finished its time as "old stable".

With SunSSH being end-of-lifed, upgrading to r151020 may be difficult for people still using SunSSH.  There's a new upgrading page one can get to off the Release Notes:

	https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Upgrade_to_r151020

If you've already made the switch to SunSSH, upgrading to r151020 should be no different than any other post-r151014 upgrade.  If you are still using SunSSH, read the above link very carefully.  We recommend you make the switch to OpenSSH before upgrading, but we understand if you can't.

Thanks as always to the OmniOS community, and OmniTI colleagues including (but not limited to): Dale Ghent, Marissa Murphy, and Robert Treat (who convinced me to port LX).

Thanks to Joyent staffers Jerry Jelinek and Patrick Mooney, whose LX work AND LX-porting-assitance were invaluable.

Happy upgrading!
Dan McDonald -- OmniOS Engineering