[OmniOS-discuss] OpenSSH and reverse DNS

Olaf Marzocchi lists at marzocchi.net
Tue Nov 29 09:47:10 UTC 2016

Dear all,
Since I upgraded to OpenSSH I have the following problem with DNS:
reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for hostxxx.retail.telecomitalia.it [_ip_] failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
The remote SSH server has always been OenSSH, the issue appeared when the client (OmniOS) got updated.
I have no access to the DNS records. I already have a dynamic DNS configured, but the reverse one is out of my reach.

I found online possible solutions and I described the issue also here without success: http://superuser.com/questions/1149850/how-to-disable-the-message-reverse-mapping-checking-getaddrinfo-for-xxx-failed

"UseDNS no" helped me to be able at least to connect, but still I cannot disable the warning. Since I launch daily rsync backups via cron, I get emails every morning without any real security issue (in my case).
Before I pipe the output of rsync through grep to brutally delete that specific warning, is there a better solution I could test?

Thanks
Olaf