[OmniOS-discuss] Supermicro X10SLL-F

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Mon Oct 3 20:39:40 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I recently swapped motherboard in an Omnios server to Supermicro
X10SLL-F and system came up again without any problems so this is all fine
and dandy. But one thing that literally took hours to solve was getting
the board to even post. So here is the story and solution to anybody
hitting the same problem as I.

Symptom: Board gets power since power led lights and IPMI heartbeat led
blinks, but no post what so ever. Access to IPMI through web browser
works but system is reported to be off and cannot be started. Post
snooping shows f0.
Solution:
1) Power off the system and pop the CMOS battery. Wait a couple of
minuts before going to step 2.
2) Power on system without CMOS battery (Single user mode preferable)
3) When system is powered up fully consult IPMI to ensure everything is
OK and the power system off again
4) Reinsert CMOS battery and power system on again.

Every thing should work again.

Outstanding unresolved issues:
Case fans are Arctic F8 PWM
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186072)
and Arctic F12 PWM
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033)
Problem: Even though fan speed is controlled by Supermicro fan mode no
speed readings are available (display N/A). Maybe this is because the
Arctic fans are all revision 1 but to sure to have working speed
readings I have ordered new fans from Noctua.
A couple of Noctua NF-A8 PWM
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3Y64158)
A couple of Noctua NF-S12A
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608038)

Anybody having experience with these fans on supermicro boards?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Life is a yo-yo, and mankind ties knots in the string.