[OmniOS-discuss] NVMe/kvm

Machine Man gearboxes at outlook.com
Tue Oct 11 17:53:35 UTC 2016

I'm looking to deploy an all NVMe system, 2x 400GB for rpool and 4x 800GB for the data pool.
I have had poor performance for virtual machines using either 10k or 15k drives and also adding mirrored ZIL and L2 cache SSD. All SAS of course. This got expensive fast and only striped mirror vdevs got to acceptable performance and ended up with far more TB than needed by tossing spindles at it. It also did not matter how I played around with blocksizes for the VM zvols. The IO requirements for some of the machines is too high.

I'm looking to build a system that will be running 7 virtual machines.
4x Windows standard 2012r2 1x domain controller, 2x IIS systems (low client access) and 1x running an FTP commercial product.
1x SQL 2014 (only 300GB max size)
2x Windows 10 pro workstations

The chassis will be a Supermicro SYS-1028U-TN10RT+
192GB memory

My thought is to use stripped mirrors on the data pool and enable dedup on all the vm disks except the SQL server.

The reason for not using a commercial product like VMware is snapshots and offsite replication.
We don’t have an environment with more than 5 VMs and no Microsoft SQL at the moment. We would prefer to spend on hardware rather than licensing and maintenance cost with added admin of constant software updates for hypervisor backup software and replication pieces etc.

The 2 questions I have are:

1)      Are all issues with NVMe resolved?

2)      Is this beyond of what OmniOS was designed for and should I rather look at a commercial products for this type of deployment?

Thanks,

Sent from my Windows 10 phone