[OmniOS-discuss] Slow ssh transfers

Martin Waldenvik waldenvik at gmx.com
Tue Oct 11 19:58:48 UTC 2016

On 10/11/2016 09:14 PM, Dan McDonald wrote:
> Dumb question - is your FreeBSD frame size jumbo?
>
> Also, try this on OmniOS:
>
> ipadm set-prop -p send_buf=1048576 tcp
> ipadm set-prop -p recv_buf=1048576 tcp
>
> And see if that helps if the frame size isn't smaller on OmniOS.
>
> Dan
>
> Sent from my iPhone (typos, autocorrect, and all)
>
>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Martin Waldenvik <waldenvik at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem I have. I'm using lftp sftp a lot and it is very slow.  I can work around that sometimes by using another server. But I am also using zrep (using ssh) to replicate my pool to a backup server. This is also slow. Transfer is about 40 megabyte (omnios  to omnios). When doing this on freebsd it is about 100 megabyte and it saturates my gigabit link (freebsd to freebsd). Same hardware.
>>
>> I'm using the latest Omios LTS release and openssh. Is there any way to speed this up on Omnios?
>>
>> Regards
>> Martin

Hi Dan

Thanks for your input. I have had this problem for a long time, then i
thought is was the old SunSSH but the problem seems to persist with OpenSSH.

I have not touched the frame size, the only thing i have is LACP with
L3,L4. Intel NIC on a supermicro board.

Tried to set send and recv buffer but there was no difference. It's
about the same speed with both sending and recieving ~40-45M/s.

I have found that zrep is simple enough for me that manually replicates
my system on an irregular basis. Maybe there is something that simple
around that works with netcat.

Regards
Martin