[OmniOS-discuss] cifs smb 2.1 errors when using windows 10 backup tool

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 12:54:09 UTC 2016

hi,

There is  a w10 system at the home and it's a bit critical for the wife
;-), so I want to have this up and running asap if some kind of trouble
happens with it.

Anyway, this windows 10 OS has a backup tool that allows you to dump an
image to a network share using cifs, obviously.

So I have a zfs file system, shared it for cifs, set the permissions for
the share. Start the backup, and it will fail consistently when it has
reached 57%.

After much searching, I found this:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c2032e37-ebe9-4221-9d37-5525fcdaae19/windows-8-backup-win7-file-recovery-system-image-creation-to-nas-device-fails-with-error?forum=w8itprogeneral

And yes, after:

# sharectl set -p max_protocol=1 smb

and restarting the cifs service, now the backup is running correctly (97%
and counting).

Apparently it has to do with 'resilency support', whatever that may be:

Which is a shame, because now the cifs host is limited to smb 1.5 instead
of 2.1 (but at least it works).

Hopefully I spare somebody some unnecessary pain with this info. And it
would be awesome if this 'resiliciency support' made it to the cifs server
in a next version ;-)

Thanks!

--
Groeten,