[OmniOS-discuss] Firewall in OmniOS?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Oct 19 02:45:11 UTC 2016

While I do have a dedicated low-power box I can use, it came to mind
that I could use OmniOS on a more powerful Internet-facing server and
use it as the firewall for my network (screening and session-oriented
NAT).  Assuming that the Internet-facing interface is sufficiently
battened down, this should provide optimum performance for other
software running on the same system while providing good security.

I know that ipfilter is available in OmniOS but have heard that it is
a bit dated when it comes to NAT.

Has anyone tried (or is it feasible) to install OpenBSD or FreeBSD
(perhaps pfSense or OPNsense) in a KVM instance (running in a zone) to
provide an effective firewall for LANs?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn