[OmniOS-discuss] Firewall in OmniOS?

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Wed Oct 19 16:17:44 UTC 2016

I used OpenIndiana and OmniOS with ipfilter in a router configuration
for years without any serious issues.  I was also providing DNS, DHCP
and IPv6 over v4. However, one of the drawbacks of this is that, if you
use this as your WAN/LAN router, you bring your whole network down with
the occasional reboot.

I ended up picking up a MicroTik RB750 for about $50.  This is no longer
made but the "hEX" replacement looks sweet.  These have Cisco-level
functionality, a tiny footprint, and low power consumption.  I've never
looked back.  I'm running a split-horizon DNS with hairpin routing rules
so the internal network machines get the internal ip addresses for the
services.  It reboots in a few seconds so there is minimal downtime when
I upgrade the software.

Adding my $.02 too.

Gary