[OmniOS-discuss] pass H/W device to LX zone

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Sat Oct 22 18:07:06 UTC 2016

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 10:31 AM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
>

> @Johan: Initially I wanted to bluntly say "of course not" because an LX zone has the illumos kernel and a layer to emulate some syscalls and translate them from linux to solaris - which is ok for some userland software but likely not for linux kernel modules (which is what drivers are, mostly). But then again, what if some drivers use this set of syscalls (or some others not difficult to provide mappings for) and might just run?

Your blunt answer is generally right.  LX zones have the illumos kernel underneath.  Unless there's some amazing work going on in the in-kernel-emulation I'm not aware of, you won't be able to run Linux device drivers ever in an LX Zone.

There's another part to this tale as well, but I will not commit it to email, especially an archived list.  Let's just say it involves GPL and leave it at that.  :-P