[OmniOS-discuss] new to omnios and zfs...

Vizo Allman vizoster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:44:47 UTC 2016

It would be the main store. I have 5 of these drives I will use them to
store my VM using linux kvm over NFS share to hold my mysql and ms sql VM
with DB. Small for now but I would like a similar setup for a small
production network that has the same services.

Hardware: supermicro mbd-h8sgl-f
with a 12 core AMD opteron
32 Gigs ECC memory (can add more)
LSI-9211 in IT mode.
 Two Intel® 82574L controllers Dual-Port Gigabit Ethernet

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, Vizo Allman wrote:
>
> question: very new to zfs but looking at it to hold my VMs for kvm server
>> over NFS
>> I have some samsung 1tb pro ssd drives
>> can I use those ? I am having a little trouble parsing the info I am
>> seeing online.
>>

> What would be the purpose of these Samsung drives (e.g. synchronous write
> intent log, L2 ARC, main store) in your server?
>
> For use as a synchronous intent log you should look for SSDs which support
> a super-cap to assure that all confirmed data is commited to underlying
> FLASH if the power fails.
>
> Bob
> --
> Bob Friesenhahn
> bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

"Nor aught availed him now
To have build in Heaven high towers    Nor did he scape
By all his engines
But was headlong sent with his industrious crew
To build in Hell
"Milton, "Paradise Lost"