[OmniOS-discuss] Got a larval fix for you, Bob!

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Tue Apr 4 05:37:31 UTC 2017

Are you bringing up and down zones this quickly in your deployment?

I appreciate the test case, and it appears that after 1:40, a second shutdown works:

bloody(~)[0]% /bin/time sudo zoneadm -z lipkg0 boot ; /bin/time sudo zoneadm -z lipkg0 shutdown ; /bin/time sudo zoneadm -z lipkg0 shutdown

real        0.9
user        0.0
sys         0.0
zone 'lipkg0': unable to shutdown zone

real     1:40.1
user        0.0
sys         0.0

real        6.0
user        0.0
sys         0.0
bloody(~)[0]% zoneadm list -cv
  ID NAME             STATUS     PATH                           BRAND    IP
   0 global           running    /                              ipkg     shared
   - lx0              installed  /zones/lx0                     lx       excl
   - lx1              installed  /zones/lx1                     lx       excl
   - lipkg0           installed  /zones/lipkg0                  lipkg    excl
   - lx2              installed  /zones/lx2                     lx       excl
bloody(~)[0]%

Alternatively, a one-second sleep appears to be enough to miss the race:

bloody(~)[0]% /bin/time sudo zoneadm -z lipkg0 boot ; sleep 1 ; /bin/time sudo zoneadm -z lipkg0 shutdown

real        1.1
user        0.0
sys         0.0

real        7.0
user        0.0
sys         0.0
bloody(~)[0]% zoneadm list -cv
  ID NAME             STATUS     PATH                           BRAND    IP
   0 global           running    /                              ipkg     shared
   - lx0              installed  /zones/lx0                     lx       excl
   - lx1              installed  /zones/lx1                     lx       excl
   - lipkg0           installed  /zones/lipkg0                  lipkg    excl
   - lx2              installed  /zones/lx2                     lx       excl
bloody(~)[0]%

I do believe that pwaiting on forked processes /usr/sbin/shutdown launches will eliminate more times this can happen, however.  I will be putting such a fix out for review tomorrow on the illumos list.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the delay in addressing this,