[OmniOS-discuss] network configuration script

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Wed Apr 5 17:52:29 UTC 2017

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 13:43:36 -0400
Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> You have an interactive setup.  It then invokes certain commands like "ipadm create-addr ....".
>
> Instead of invoking those commands, what if it wrote those commands to a file (i.e. scribbled those commands :) ) or even stdout?  The file I was imagining was "/mnt/.initialboot", because after a fresh ISO/USB installation, any commands in the file are invoked once when the new system boots the first time.
>
> One could put the bring-up-networking commands on the newly installed machine using your tool and the commands it outputs.

I see. This should be easy. Simply add a boolean command line option.
Eg -r|--record which when present will output create commands to
stdout. I prefer using stdout for a broader usage scenario leaving
decision where to output to the invoker.

What do you think?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
My family history begins with me, but yours ends with you.
		-- Iphicrates