[OmniOS-discuss] VirtualBox 5.1 - Missing dependencies

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Apr 10 20:08:29 UTC 2017

Hi Dale!

Sorry, I let this slip a bit...

> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 5:00 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
> >
> > Dan McDonald writes:
> >> Ideally someone would package it on OmniOS itself for OmniOS.
> >
> > Would that be permitted by the VirtualBox license?  Shouldn't be too
> > hard if it is just repackaging...
>
> Preferably it would also be natively built. One of the unfortunate legacy
> aspects is that VirtualBox’s notion of “SunOS” is Oracle Solaris and stays
> absolutely true to that expectation. This was certainly an issue with the
> vbox add-ons and the vboxfs driver no longer building or working on illumos,
> as it was expecting symbols that were introduced in later versions of Oracle
> Solaris 11 but are not present in illumos, which still self-identifies as
> the same.

The other day I installed the most recent VBox guest extensions on
OmniOS bloody.  They installed fine (as described in later mails in this
thread), and vboxfs works flawlessly. In fact, I have used an image from
my shared home folder to bring up an LX branded Centos 7.3 in Omnios in
VirtualBox under macOS 10.12 without a hitch. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"