[OmniOS-discuss] Problem with BSD Loader and boot mirror

Lawrence Giam paladinemishakal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 10:44:26 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I have a physical server which I am taking the time to install and test the
OmniOS SCE R151022.

As with the Grub loader and OmniOS R151014, I use the following steps to
setup a boot mirror:
1. Partition a partition on the SSD for the boot mirror.
2. Do the prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0
3. Attach the partition to the rpool : zpool attach -f rpool c2t1d0s0
c2t0d0s0
4. Wait for the resilver to finish and then reboot the server, ensure it
boots ok.
5. After boots ok, run the installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2
/dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0
6. Reboot and ensure booting is good.
7. Shutdown and Simulate c2t1d0s0 failure by taking out the SSD.
8. Power up server and the system still boot to OmniOS but with alert that
one of the boot mirror is missing.

As with the BSD loader and OmniOS R151022, I use the following steps to
setup a boot mirror:
1. Partition a partition on the SSD for the boot mirror.
2. Do the prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0
3. Attach the partition to the rpool : zpool attach -f rpool c2t1d0s0
c2t0d0s0
4. Wait for the resilver to finish and then reboot the server, ensure it
boots ok.
5. After boots ok, run bootadm install-bootloader
6. Reboot and ensure booting is good.
7. Shutdown and Simulate c2t1d0s0 failure by taking out the SSD.
8. Power up server and the system boots with the following message:
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk 0
BIOS drive D: is disk 1
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS of pool rpool
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: pool tankAAA is not supported
BIOS 608kB/1983056kB available memory

illumos/x86 ZFS enabled bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
ZFS: can't find pool by guid
ZFS: can't find pool by guid

start not found

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

I have 2 pools - rpool and tankAAA configured but somehow the BSD loader is
1. unable to recognise the boot mirror
2. cannot see the other dataset (eg. tankAAA)

Next, I shutdown the server and put back the disk and power up the server
again and it is able to boot as before normally.

Is my step to do the boot mirror wrong or is there something that I am
missing out?

Thanks & Regards.