[OmniOS-discuss] Bug ?

Andy Fiddaman omnios at citrus-it.net
Sun Jul 2 10:09:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017, Guenther Alka wrote:

; Unless there are news regarding OmniOS my stance is
;
; - OmniOS 151022 is a freeze of current Illumos + LX. At the moment it is the
; most stable and feature rich free Illumos general use server distribution with
; the addition LX zones. As there is no repo and development outside OmniTi it
; is freezed. There are no signs from OmniTi to add any fixes. As packages are
; signed it does not work outside OmniTi. As OmniOS 151023 is identical without
; signed packages a community based repo based on it with possible fixes as
; 151022ce (community edition) is a suggestion (but sadly I am not an OS
; developer).

Momentum does appear to be lacking unfortunately. Here at Citrus we have
forked the OmniOS repositories and are continuing to maintain them for
internal use while we consider options.

We have kept omnios-build packages up-to-date where there are security
fixes (two Bind updates, 7-zip CVE patch, OpenSSL [IIRC]) and backported a
handful of illumos changes that are relevant to us. We can keep going like
this for a good while and I still hope that a community OmniOS will get
going (we've offered to contribute engineering resource as have others)
and we can make the switch.

Since we use LX zones to an extent, SmartOS is the other route we are
evaluating at the moment.

Andy

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)870 199 8000 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123