[OmniOS-discuss] Questions about - End the uncertainty -

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Fri Jul 7 14:31:41 UTC 2017

Hello Jim and @all

I am using OmniOS and OI for years and I fully agree with you. Your
position and that of Aurélian and Tobi are not identical but not too far
away and may be the base to find a solution for a win-win situation for
all that suits the needs and wants of all.

In the current lifecycle, no question; we need a continuation of OmniOS
151022 and OI in their current state as there are many users around. But
then it seems increditable stupid if the next OmniOS and OpenIndiana are
based on a whole different base, distribution, infrastructure or
promotion and this discussion really offers some new oportunities due
the "revival" on OmniOS-ce side.

I am not involved in either OS distribution so you may correct me on
wrong statements but as I see:
*OmniOS and OI Hipster Text are nearly identical in core functions and
stability as this is inherited from Illumos*

OI is quite vanilla Illumos while OmniOS is based on a copy as a freeze
or subset of Vanilla Illumos with LX as addon?
If this is right, the more valuable part is the OmniOS clone when it
comes to LX, continuation and stablity.  Using OI current as common base
would require to create a new stable clone and work to integrate LX,
much more work to do and we have this aleady done in OmniOS. Adding the
current OI featureset seems possible on top of Vanilla Ilumos and OmniOS
Illumos.

*Is this possible or an option?*
*What is the stance of OI to use OmniOS-Illumos as source instead of
Vanilla Illumos?*

This will give both the current stable base where common work is done
while OI has the option to add the full set of its current add-ons via a
repository, not to forget that for me a GUI for local filemanagement and
storagemanagement is a very valuable add-on for a server. Both are using
in such a scenario one stable core stable/lts repository every 6 months
like currently - similar or smaller than the current OmniOS and adds
extra functionalities by an extended repository that adds an enhanced
featureset.

The rest is simple
*OI is an established distribution with a small but working team to
maintain and build a distribution, a known name and website, **a wiki,
download and repo mirrors etc, a common project should be based upon
using OpenIndiana as common roof?  The difference may be only in
OI-Hipster (general use server or desktop) vs OI-OmniOS_ce (minimal
stable storage server) with two distributions Text (OI-OmniOS_ce and a
base repo) and GUI (OI Hipster, the same but with GUI and other services
due an additional enhanced repo)*

No need to duplicate work. Even if both sides are requested to
compromise, both wins.
All current and new manpower can be used to make the common project
better or extend it for more use cases.

Maybe a switch to the OI installer is desirable as it offers a network
setting option on initial setup.
The OmniOS installer is annoying regarding this

comments?

Gea
@napp-it.org