[OmniOS-discuss] Connect single USB disk to OmniOS ? Filesystem options?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:10:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <
svavar at pipar-tbwa.is> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I need to connect a single USB disk to my HP Microserver NL54 running
> OmniOS.
> Going to utilize it as a backup disk for some resources on my home LAN.
> The Microserver does have many USB ports that would be fine to utilize, as
> I have filled the 3.5" slots in the server
> in RAIDZ modes.
>
> The thing is, what options do I have as formating the disk? Is it only the
> ancient UFS and
> the FAT32 which is not going to do it's job because of file size limit ?
>
> And correct me if I'm wrong, ZFS on a single disk is not a nice job.

Why not?

ZFS is better than UFS or FAT. It'll tell you when your data is corrupted,
which the others won't. If you want extra protection and have enough
space then set copies=2 (lose the space, but you get self-healing back).
Do set LZ4 compression, there's no reason not to these days.

Just because you can't take advantage of all of the ZFS benefits doesn't
immediately make it unsuitable, when the alternatives don't even have
those features at all.

> btw, I do have 16GB ECC memory on the HP Microserver.
>
> As OpenIndiana distro has the NTFS fuse modules available, but there isn't
> any available
> for OmniOS. Any reason why?
>
> So my options are what, UFS and FAT32 ?

ZFS. Although the one consideration for a backup drive is what you're
going to connect it to. (Which again says ZFS, because you can then
import the pool on another system pretty easily.)

--
-Peter Tribble