[OmniOS-discuss] Omios, hvm and AWS

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 21:37:40 UTC 2017

> I wish to run up a number of OmniOS instances in AWS.
>
> The current OmniOS AMIs in AWS seem to use pv virtualization, precluding
> their use on the t2 and m4 instance types that I want to use.

Worse; newer regions only support hvm. In my case, this rules out London.

> So, I thought I would try to produce my own AMI with hvm virtualization.
>
> I am looking to use omniosce r151022, is this likely to work at all?
>
> I have read https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Ec2Ami, does anyone know
> how that procedure would be amended to cater for loader/hvm instead of
> pv-grub?

The following should get you going:

https://www.prakashsurya.com/post/2017-02-06-creating-a-custom-amazon-ec2-ami-from-iso/

Essentially, if you install any illumos distro you can send the disk image
up
to AWS and create an AMI. If you create the image by installing using Xen
*exactly* as described, you're done. If you're getting the image from
somewhere
else then the phys_path to the disk embedded in the pool will be wrong and
need
to be rewritten, which basically means going into Xen again.

(I don't have Xen, so I'm currently at the stage where my hvm AMI panics on
boot because the pool has got the wrong labels. That's for Tribblix, but the
procedure is identical for any illumos distro. You have a similar issue if
you try
and convert the pv AMI to hvm; it panics because the hardware has changed
underneath. I'm close, but not there yet.)

--
-Peter Tribble