[OmniOS-discuss] Omios, hvm and AWS

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 19:15:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

>     The current OmniOS AMIs in AWS seem to use pv virtualization,
> precluding
> >     their use on the t2 and m4 instance types that I want to use.
>

> > The following should get you going:
> >
> > https://www.prakashsurya.com/post/2017-02-06-creating-a-
> custom-amazon-ec2-ami-from-iso/

Just to say that I successfully created a hvmAMI for my own distro
(Tribblix)
using those instructions. Almost all my problems were on the xen side.

Other than having to work out how to reset the BIOS password on my test
PC to enable the VT-x extensions needed for hvm support, the other problem
I had is that illumos panics when trying to use the xen network. So I had to
create a VM without a network interface, install the OS, then enable nwam
and ensure I had a valid user I could ssh to so I could run up the AMI on
EC2, log in using the temporary account, and do the rest of the
configuration
while running on EC2 to create the final AMI.

--
-Peter Tribble